“This is a key project in Orica’s digital transformation journey, unlocking cost savings, business agility & unlimited potential for innovation, delivered with confidence by SXiQ”.
Jamie Rossato, Vice President – Information Technology, Orica
Headquartered in Melbourne, Orica is one of the largest providers of commercial explosives and blasting systems to the mining, quarrying, oil and gas and construction industries. The company also provides ground support services in mining and tunneling.
Orica was operating with aging IT infrastructure that was driving operational costs up and creating compliance and outage risks. They needed to significantly simplify and reduce ongoing IT hosting costs and service complexity, whilst accelerating their ability to innovate quickly across business units globally.
SXiQ, an IBM Company was approached to help Orica exit its multiple legacy datacentres across the globe and pursue a cloud-first strategy with AWS as its preferred cloud platform for all non-SAP applications, creating a highly-automated AWS landing zone with an AWS Disaster Recovery environment, while also modernising Orica’s traditional operating model to introduce a cloud devops practice. SXiQ was selected based on our experience across large-scale, complex, mission critical systems, along with our strength in driving cloud-native automation.
In less than 15 months, SXiQ migrated Orica from multiple legacy data centres around the world to AWS delivering simplified systems, improved agility, enhanced security and recoverability, cost transparency and delivering on Orica’s cloud-first strategy. Our solution included:
- Design and Implementation of a Multi-Regional AWS Landing Zone
- Analysis, Design & Implementation of migration pathways into cloud for over 100 Applications, with modernisation through cloud native services
- Implementation of highly automated / cloud native environment,
- Implementation and Integration of Active Directory
- Design and Implementation of highly automated disaster recovery capability
- Implemented, Transformed and Enabled DevOps capability of Orica’s IT team in Australia and Malaysia
This project has delivered a 100% exit from five legacy datacentres across the globe, meaning Orica has achieved its cloud-first objectives.
The cloud, along with SXiQ’s high-automation and IT team transformation to DevOps, will enable the Orica team to drive transformation at a much greater pace, while reducing IT costs and complexities.
Key business outcomes included:
- $1m+ Cost Avoidance on HW Refresh
- 3x Improvement in RTO/RPO times
- 35% Uptime Improvement
- 30% IT Support Cost Improvement
The project ultimately allowed Orica to innovate much more quickly, and as a business pivot much more rapidly to deal with competitive pressure across the globe, whilst improving their business system availability and maintaining their compliance and security standards much more simply.
Orica Vice President of Information Technology, Jamie Rossato said, “the solution has unlocked cost savings, business agility and unlimited potential for innovation, delivered with confidence by our partner SXiQ who have played a significant role in helping us achieve this critical milestone on our journey.”
- The AWS shift took less than 15 months to complete
- 2.4 million lines of code
- 50 business applications re hosted, re platformed and refactored, along with 26 “infrastructure services
“This is a key project in Orica’s digital transformation journey, unlocking cost savings, business agility & unlimited potential for innovation, delivered with confidence by SXiQ” Jamie Rossato, Vice President – Information Technology, Orica